29 Mar 2008

My current though on the HD gen gaming consoles OR why I won't be buying a PS3...



I'm not an avid gaming buff and over the past couple of years I've been looking at the next/current/what ever gen-gen gaming solution thingys. I've talked about gaming in the past but not in a definitive form so now I'm going to (since getting a 360 *again*)

This post may contain a content that may offend playstation fanboys, if you take this to seriously then you have more problems that I can help you with ^^

So I've got a Wii and a 360 and the combination makes me very happy. The Wii is lots of fun (Mario Galaxy being king) and after a few weeks with my shinny 360 and the orange box, I'm finally getting into fps's. One thing I have a problem with is Sony's effort to be next-gen gaming. Here's a short list of things that I have a problem with Sony games efforts.

Number 1; Sony not going forward - AKA why are they still selling the PS2?
I would have thought that if you are bringging out a new games system, you stop selling the previous generation. Obviously Sony doesn't think so. Now I will say that the PS2 is very good (maybe one of the motivators of keeping it on sale) but if a non games savvy person (like you're mum) were to walk into a shop to buy a PS3 for someone, they won't know the difference between the two apart for the PS2 being one less and a big price difference. Which moves me onto the next point nicely...

Number 2;
Backwards compatibility OR lack there of...
This is just a great idea for a console, start selling it with backwards compatibility and then sell it without! Thats great for marketing...

All the other consoles managed this! while getting the 360 I got a copy of halo 2 and without having to do an update played it out the gate. Nintendo has a sort of two sided version *sort of* not only can you play all you're GameCube games, but the virtual console is a very nice addition (even though you can't plugin an old NES cartridge) The PS3 doesn't offer this kind of security that you can go back and enjoy you're favorite games of old, not unless you take into account point one.

Number 3; Blu-Ray is the future! OR holy crap we won! thank the tech gods!!!
This was a big selling point of the PS3 and what put me of from the start. If you can remember back a couple of years to when he 360 was put out, HD-DVD drives were still to much so they stick with DVD *hooray!* and they year after Nintendo finally caught up with the Wii *hooray! even though I can't watch DVD's*. But Sony decided to plump for the Blu-Ray drive even though this made the PS3's price tag reflect half what it actually cost to make because Sony is a hardware company and therefore have to go hardware heavy. But Blu-Ray was and still is a beta format, the spec is always changing. If in the unlikely event of HD-DVD winning the next-gen-HD-disc-war-thingy you would have the PS3 in the bin.

Number 4; Most expensive games console EVA! cheapest Blu-Ray player at the moment...

Again, a big selling point of the PS3 was the idea that it was a cheap Blu-Ray player (but not really though) This wasn't something that mattered to me as I've only got an old, crappy CRT. Marketing the PS3 as a cheap Blu-Ray player might have been a great idea to bump sales for people who want to enjoy their film in HD, but with the current price drop the PS3 is now £30 more than an entry level Blu-Ray player. Would you pay £30 for the promise of next gen quality gaming? didn't think so!

Number 5; James Anonymous OR certain owners who think with their SIXAXIS's rather than their head...

The only conflict I've ever faced from another gamer has been over the PS3. The animosity from them to me was very interesting. So the conversation went along these lines of this

Peter; Hey!
James; how are things?
Peter; good, how 'bout you?
James; Got me a PS3! so much better than the 360
Peter; so you got a 360 to?
James; nope...
Peter; so how do you know it's better?
James; well, it's got blu-ray
Peter; and?
James; well, blu-ray makes it better!
Peter; "..."
James; shut up!


SO yeah, not really a fault of Sony or gaming, but an observation...

I may speak blind not owning a PS3 and I'm sure that there are allot of people who love their PS3's. It's just not for me xD

No comments: